Automobile Insurance

For more than 5 decades, DeJong’s Insurance has been helping Albertans save on car insurance. But that’s not all we do. We like to help educate our drivers by providing personal service and expert advice from the moment you speak with one of our insurance professionals. Our brokers are experienced at finding the absolute lowest rates and most suitable coverage for your needs. At DeJong’s we know that comparing quotes from dozens of companies can be a long process, so we do that for you! The auto insurance products we provide include but are not limited to:

  • Private Passenger Vehicles

  • Commercial Automobile/Fleet & Transportation

  • Collector/Antique

  • Ride Sharing Automobile Insurance

  • High Risk Automobile Insurance

  • Ask a Question or Request a Quote FAQ


Mandatory Coverage

  • Section A -Third Party Liability – The insurance company agrees to pay on your behalf sums that you become legally liable to pay for property damage or bodily injury caused arising out of the ownership, use or operation of the insured vehicle, including any drivers who are given permission but not listed on your policy to operate your vehicle. This coverage is mandatory and often referred to as ‘PLPD’ (Personal Liability Property Damage).

  • Section B – Accident Benefits – The insurance company pays for medical aid required after an injury results from a car accident. This coverage is compulsory and covers the named insured, his spouse and dependent relatives. There is also payment available for the loss of income, death and funeral benefits.



Section C – Optional Coverage

+ All Perils

This the broadest form of physical damage coverage and will cover all direct and accidental loss or damage to the automobile, including its equipment, subject to policy exclusions. A policy deductible applies to this coverage.

+ Collision

Pays to repair damages caused to the insured automobile caused by collision with another object or upset, subject to the policy exclusions. A deductible applies to this coverage.

+ Comprehensive

Pays to repair damage from any peril other than by collision with another object or upset (ie. fire, theft of your entire vehicle, hail, lightning, flood). A policy deductible applies to this coverage

+ Specified Perils

This coverage pays to repair damages caused by the following specific events: fire, lighting, theft or attempt there at, windstorm, earthquake, hail, explosion, riot. A deductible applies to this coverage.

Optional Endorsements

+ SEF 13D (Limited Glass)

This endorsement excludes claims for damage to the windshield unless the damage is caused by fire, lightning, theft or attempt there at, windstorm, hail, earthquake, explosion or riot.

+ SEF 20 (Loss of Use)

This endorsement covers reasonable expenses that may be incurred for the rental of a replacement vehicle, taxi or public transportation, while the insured vehicle is being repaired or replaced due to an insurance claim. Subject to the limit of coverage purchased.

+ SEF 27 (Liability for Non-Owned Automobiles)

This endorsement provides coverage for loss or damage to certain types of non –owned automobiles which are rented by you. It is commonly used to cover a vehicle that may be rented for a vacation within North America. It provides coverage for physical damage to the rented vehicle that is caused while you are in possession. Subject to the limit of coverage purchased.

+ SEF 39 (Accident Waiver)

Protects your driving record from dropping in the event of one at fault loss, provided that you have not had a criminal code conviction or any single conviction warranting a surcharge. You must be over 25 years of age and have 6 or more years of claims free driving to qualify for this coverage. If an accident is incurred the coverage is removed cannot be purchased again until you are 6 years claims free.

+ SEF 43 (Wavier of Depreciation)

This endorsement provides coverage against the effects of depreciation when an insured loss or damage occurs within the first 30 months of purchasing a new vehicle , including demo vehicles up to 8,000km. The cost of the damage would be covered on a Replacement cost basis rather than the actual cash value of the vehicle at the time of loss.

+ SEF 44 / Family Protection

This endorsement pays when you, your spouse or dependent relatives are injured in an auto accident, or as a pedestrian, where the motorist responsible does not have insurance or does not carry enough insurance to cover your bodily injury claim. The limit of insurance provided by this coverage is the difference between the limits you carry on your policy and that carried by the motorist at fault. In the event that the responsible party carries no insurance, the coverage will be limited to the third party liability amount provided by your policy.


Auto Insurance FAQs

+ Why does my vehicle need to be insured commercially?

It is important to rate your vehicle properly based on your daily use. If you are using your vehicle as a company vehicle or to drive around the city (or outside of the city) to different job sites each day, it must be rated commercially. In the event of an accident, a claim can potentially be denied if your vehicle is not rated properly. Please contact your licensed broker to update/ensure your vehicle rating is up to date.

+ How can I lower my vehicle insurance costs?

Inquire with your licensed broker about shopping your policy. At DeJong’s we have the ability to shop your policy to many potential markets each year.

Ensure you have all discounts that apply to you. These discounts may include combined auto/home discount, loyalty discount, aftermarket anti-theft device discount, conviction free discount, occupational and many more.

+ Are my tools or equipment which are stored in my vehicle covered under my commercial automobile policy in the event of a loss?

No. Tools, equipment and stock are not covered under your commercial automobile insurance policy. The automobile policy covers loss or damage to your vehicle only.

Coverage for tools, equipment and stock stored in your vehicle or trailer is purchased on a commercial property policy.